A/PPS 01.02 - General Guidelines
A/PPS No. 01.02
Issue No. 2
Effective Date: 6/01/2021
Next Review Date: 11/01/2024 (E3Y)
Sr. Reviewer: Director, Athletics
Texas State University is committed to providing a safe environment for Department of Athletics staff and student-athletes and maintaining compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.
ADHERENCE TO RULES AND REGULATIONS
Department of Athletics employees are subject to all applicable Texas State University, Sun Belt Conference, and NCAA rules and regulations. More information regarding university employee code of conduct can be found in the Staff Handbook.
University staff has an obligation to comply with all NCAA rules, and the university has a responsibility to maintain compliance. NCAA constitution requires member institutions to monitor their programs to assure compliance and to identify and report all instances in which compliance has not been achieved.
Any Department of Athletics staff member found to have knowingly violated NCAA regulations is subject to termination of employment. Any student-athlete found to have been knowingly involved in a major NCAA rules infraction is immediately ineligible, in accordance with the applicable NCAA regulations. If an individual defined by NCAA regulations as a representative of the Department of Athletics interests knowingly violates any NCAA regulation, that individual may be officially disassociated from the university for a period of time determined by the director of Athletics and the university president.
HARASSMENT AND DISCRIMINATION
- Texas State is committed to an inclusive educational and work environment that provides equal opportunity and access to all qualified persons. Texas State, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. Texas State forbids discrimination in any university activity or program. Faculty, staff, and students who discriminate against others in connection with a university activity or program will be considered to have violated this policy and are subject to disciplinary sanctions. UPPS No. 04.04.46, Prohibition of Discrimination contains the entire discrimination policy, including procedures for reporting instances of discrimination.
- The Department of Athletics is committed to preventing and eliminating any hazing behavior which violates university rules or state law, or whose purpose is to humiliate, demean, or devalue the worth of another individual. Hazing is unlawful, criminal, and impedes the realization of the Department’s mission of providing student-athletes with exceptional educational and athletic opportunities. Hazing is not tolerated at Texas State. Any student-athlete or Department of Athletics staff member involved in a hazing incident is subject to university investigation and disciplinary sanctions.
FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT
- All student records are presumed to be confidential unless determined otherwise by the appropriate university official. All university employees will abide by the regulations regarding privacy and security of student records as issued by the Department of Education and mandated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), as well as any other applicable federal, state, or local law. Refer to UPPS No. 01.04.31, Access to Student Records Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 for policies and procedures regarding access to student education records.
HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT
- All university employees will abide by the regulations regarding privacy and security of health information as issued by the Department of Health and Human Services and mandated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as well as any other applicable federal, state, or local law.
FOOD SERVICES AND CATERING
- Catering services for functions held in university facilities may be obtained from the food service contractor or from other catering services, if approved by the Auxiliary Services Office and included on the annual list of approved caterers. Refer to UPPS No. 05.03.02, Catered Events for full policies and procedures on catered events.
- Texas State is committed to maintaining healthy and safe campuses. UPPS No. 04.05.02, Tobacco and Smoking Policy prohibits smoking and the use of all tobacco products at Texas State campuses in San Marcos and in Round Rock. Tobacco products include all types of tobacco, cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes, pipes, and hookahs.
- The Department of Athletics limits donation requests to game tickets for non-profit organizations. The department will not honor requests from the public regarding donations of equipment, apparel, or other products. Game ticket requests can be submitted on the Texas State Athletics website.
UNIVERSITY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
REVIEWERS OF THIS PPS
Reviewer of this PPS includes the following:
Position Date Director, Athletics November 1 E3Y
This PPS has been approved by the following individuals in their official capacities and represents Texas State Athletics policy and procedure from the date of this document until superseded.
Director, Athletics; senior reviewer of this PPS